Monday 29 October 2007

Don't ya hate it when...

... you spend all day on a project, only to have it turn out badly?

I spent many potential marking hours on Saturday working on something for ME - a wrap/ruana/cardi that I was planning on wearing to a function on Sunday. I had this lovely aqua and brown alpaca blend yarn, I had the pattern all worked out in my head, I had started it on Thursday, and it was do-able to get it done for Sunday morning.

And I did. I finished it Saturday evening, and I even made some toggle things so I could fasten it in a multitudinous variety of ways. It had been a bit short, but I lengthened it through a generous use of a wide border, and I even wove all my ends in.

Only to put it on on Sunday morning and realise that the whole thing looked like crap.

So, now I'm faced with a dilemma - try to flog it off to someone else, or just break down and rip it all out and try again? I think the general design principle isn't bad, it's just flawed in the execution - it ended up being wider than I anticipated, and shorter, where the proportions should have been the other way round. And, although I hate to admit it, as much as I love the whole drapey/ruana look, I really think it's not for me... Too short and wide myself, I think...

So, ~~sigh~~ I think it's back to the drawing board and some more planning. The 'thing' will probably live in my closet for a while until I have the heart to rip out two solid days worth of work, but at least I'll have 11 balls of yarn to play with... :p

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that way about half of my items. LOL! I always find little things that I thing stand out and usually my boyfriend is correct when he says, "No one else would even notice that."

Keep up the good work!

Sixth and Elm said...

You have to decide to either leave it, or take the plunge and "frog it," and "rippit" out....

I forget who told me that one....hee hee